- La Liga leaders Barcelona managed to secure a draw against Mallorca, preserving their unbeaten start to the season.
- Defensive issues were evident, with a mistake by Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen leading to Mallorca’s opening goal.
- Raphinha and substitute Fermin Lopez contributed to Barcelona’s comeback, with Lopez scoring his first competitive goal for the club.
- Despite the draw, Barcelona has won five and drawn two of their first seven La Liga matches, along with a strong start in the Champions League.
- Upcoming matches for Girona and Real Madrid could potentially challenge Barcelona’s top spot in the league.
Defensive Challenges for Barcelona
Mistake Leads to Opening Goal
Barcelona, currently leading La Liga, faced defensive challenges during their recent match against Mallorca. A notable mistake by Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen resulted in Mallorca’s first goal, with Vedat Muriqi capitalizing on the error to score.
— barcacentre (@barcacentre) September 26, 2023
Raphinha and Fermin Lopez’s Impact
Despite the defensive issues, Barcelona displayed resilience with former Leeds United forward Raphinha contributing to the team’s comeback. After Mallorca took the lead just before halftime through Abdon, Raphinha played a crucial role in setting up substitute Fermin Lopez, who scored his first competitive goal for Barcelona, securing a valuable point for the team.
Barcelona’s Unbeaten Start
Barcelona has had a strong start to the season, winning five and drawing two of their first seven La Liga matches. Additionally, the team began their Champions League campaign with a convincing 5-0 victory over Royal Antwerp last week.
"It's a point that feels like too little, but we will have to bounce back."
— Iñigo Martínez pic.twitter.com/yvnuUzOekr
— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) September 27, 2023
Top Spot at Stake
Despite their current lead in La Liga, Barcelona faces competition from second-placed Girona and third-placed Real Madrid. The team’s top spot could be at risk depending on the outcomes of upcoming matches, including Girona’s clash with Villarreal and Real Madrid’s game against Las Palmas.