- Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) chairman Nasser Al-Khelaifi has refuted Lionel Messi’s statement that he was not recognized by the club for his World Cup victory with Argentina.
- Messi, who departed PSG when his contract expired in June, claimed that he was the only player among the 25 who didn’t receive recognition from the club for his World Cup success.
- Al-Khelaifi countered Messi’s account, stating that PSG celebrated Messi both in training and privately but chose not to do so at the stadium due to sensitivity surrounding the World Cup defeat.
- Messi subsequently joined Inter Miami in Major League Soccer (MLS) in July, where he secured his first silverware with the team, the Leagues Cup, in August.
- Miami’s head coach, Gerardo “Tata” Martino, confirmed that Messi would miss an upcoming match against Orlando City due to a scar tissue problem.
Debunking Messi’s Claim
Lionel Messi’s recent statement alleging that PSG did not recognize him for his role in Argentina’s World Cup victory has been countered by PSG chairman Nasser Al-Khelaifi.
In an interview, Messi claimed that among the 25 players, he was the sole individual who did not receive club recognition for his World Cup triumph. This assertion came after Messi scored twice in the World Cup final against France, helping Argentina secure their third World Cup title.
Nasser Al-Khelaifi: “Messi’s statements? Many people are talking about it abroad. I don't know what he did or what he didn't say, but as everyone saw and we even published a video, we celebrated Messi in training and we also celebrated him privately (away from the spotlight), but… pic.twitter.com/CIMQV7UJcq
— All About Argentina 🛎🇦🇷 (@AlbicelesteTalk) September 24, 2023
Contrary to Messi’s account, Al-Khelaifi revealed that PSG had indeed celebrated Messi’s achievement. He explained that the club marked the occasion in both training sessions and private settings.
However, Al-Khelaifi emphasized the sensitivity of celebrating such an event at the stadium, given that Argentina’s victory in the World Cup had come at the expense of France. PSG aimed to show respect not only for the country Messi defeated but also for his teammates on the French national team and the club’s supporters.
Messi’s MLS Journey
Following his departure from PSG in June, Messi embarked on a new chapter in his career by joining Inter Miami in Major League Soccer (MLS). In just a short time, Messi secured his first piece of silverware with his new team, winning the Leagues Cup in August.
To all the #OrlandoCity fans who were mocking Lionel Messi! You weren't able to defeat a B team from #Intermiamicf . Now imagine what Messi would have done to you tonight 😭😭😭 #Messi #ORLvMIA #MLS #MLSCupPlayoffs pic.twitter.com/X2eJAIh8iz
— Inter Miami FC Hub (@Intermiamifchub) September 25, 2023
Messi’s participation with Inter Miami has been affected by an injury. Miami’s head coach, Gerardo “Tata” Martino, confirmed that Messi would be sidelined for an upcoming match against Florida rival Orlando City due to a scar tissue problem.