- Tottenham Hotspur has officially signed Croatian prodigy Luka Vuskovic, sealing the deal until 2030.
- However, due to FIFA regulations following the UK’s EU exit, Vuskovic, a 16-year-old center-back, won’t join the club until 2025, when he turns 18.
- Spurs successfully secured Vuskovic’s services in a £12 million transfer, a notable acquisition for the club.
- The signing falls under the category of a ‘developmental signing,’ allowing Spurs to announce it outside of the transfer window.
- Vuskovic, the youngest-ever player in the Croatian top-flight, was previously a target for Manchester City, with a £10.2 million bid reported in March.
- The 6ft 4in center-half made his professional debut in February, appearing in 11 games across various competitions for Hajduk Split, including their Croatian Cup final victory over Sibenik.
- Vuskovic holds the distinction of being Split’s youngest-ever goalscorer, scoring at the age of 16 years and five days old.
- He follows in the footsteps of other notable Croatian players at Spurs, including Luka Modric, Vedran Corluka, Niko Kranjcar, Stipe Pletikosa, and Ivan Perisic.
Tottenham’s Signing of Croatian Sensation
Tottenham Hotspur has officially announced the signing of Croatian sensation Luka Vuskovic, marking a significant addition to the club’s roster. The talented 16-year-old center-back has agreed to a deal that extends until 2030. However, there’s a catch: Vuskovic won’t don the Spurs jersey until 2025 due to FIFA regulations arising from the UK’s departure from the EU. These regulations stipulate that foreign players cannot join UK clubs until they reach the age of 18.
We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement for Luka Vuskovic to join the Club in 2025 from Hajduk Split 🤍
— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) September 25, 2023
Despite this delay, securing Vuskovic’s services is considered a major achievement for Tottenham, with the transfer valued at £12 million. The club has categorized this signing as ‘developmental,’ allowing them to make the announcement outside of the traditional transfer window.
Vuskovic’s Rise to Prominence
Luka Vuskovic has quickly risen to prominence in the football world. As the youngest-ever player in the Croatian top-flight, he caught the attention of Manchester City, who reportedly made a £10.2 million bid for his services in March. However, negotiations with City fell through, leading to Tottenham’s successful move for the promising defender.
Vuskovic made his professional debut in February and has since appeared in 11 matches across various competitions for Hajduk Split, including a memorable victory in the Croatian Cup final against Sibenik. Notably, he holds the distinction of being Hajduk Split’s youngest-ever goalscorer, finding the back of the net at just 16 years and five days old.
EXCL: Tottenham have completed the agreement to sign Luka Vusković from Hajduk Split, here we go confirmed — done deal 🚨⚪️🇭🇷 #THFC
It’s all sealed on clubs and player side.
16 year old top talented centre back will join Spurs in 2025.
Exclusive story, confirmed. pic.twitter.com/mMmQiELuyg
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) September 25, 2023
Continuing the Croatian Legacy at Spurs
With his signing, Luka Vuskovic joins a distinguished lineage of Croatian talent that has graced the Tottenham shirt. Notable Croatian players who have previously represented the club include luminaries like Luka Modric, Vedran Corluka, Niko Kranjcar, Stipe Pletikosa, and Ivan Perisic. Spurs fans will undoubtedly have high hopes for Vuskovic as he prepares to make his mark in North London in the coming years.