- Frank Warren is interested in a fight between Anthony Joshua and Daniel Dubois.
- Dubois recently challenged Oleksandr Usyk for the heavyweight world titles but was stopped in the ninth round.
- Warren believes Dubois and Joshua have been criticized for their recent performances and sees potential in a fight between them.
- Joshua is currently in talks to fight Deontay Wilder, but negotiations have stalled.
- Warren thinks a fight between Dubois and Joshua would be more appealing to British fans than Joshua vs. Wilder.
British boxing promoter Frank Warren has expressed his desire to see a fight between heavyweight champions Anthony Joshua and Daniel Dubois. Dubois, in his recent bout, challenged Oleksandr Usyk for the unified WBA, WBO, and IBF heavyweight world titles but was stopped in the ninth round. However, Dubois and Warren believe he deserved the victory, as he dropped Usyk with a body shot in the fifth round, though it was ruled a low blow by the referee.
Warren has appealed the decision with the WBA and called for a rematch, but there have been no further updates on the situation. In the meantime, Warren sees potential in a matchup between Dubois and Joshua.
EXCLUSIVE: Frank Warren says Anthony Joshua vs Daniel Dubois would be more appealing for British fans https://t.co/PS2SD7DURQ
— talkSPORT (@talkSPORT) September 19, 2023
Desire and Criticism
Warren commented on the desire of both fighters, stating,
“Both of them have been criticized recently about their desire.” He pointed out that Joshua, known for his punching power, has faced criticism for his recent fights, where fans expected more from him. Warren believes a fight between the two would be “cracking.”
Joshua is currently in negotiations to fight Deontay Wilder in Saudi Arabia, but these talks have hit a roadblock. Promoter Eddie Hearn has indicated that Joshua may consider fighting someone else first in December.
When asked whether a clash between Dubois and Joshua would be more appealing than Joshua vs. Wilder, Warren stated,
“I think with the British fans it would.”
While Warren doesn’t oppose the idea of Joshua vs. Wilder, he is uncertain about it happening in Saudi Arabia anytime soon.
Warren emphasized Dubois’s potential to challenge Joshua, considering that he arguably posed Usyk’s toughest test at heavyweight. He also added,
“He’s got to fight somebody, and if it isn’t Wilder, then who is he going to fight?”
In conclusion, Warren expressed his optimism for a potential Joshua vs. Dubois fight, saying,
“I fancy my man, but we will see, that’s if they want to go down that road.”